Thursday, March 18, 2010

Photos from Amedabad!

This was an unusual site in Amedabad. A non-functioning well that descended some 100ft. underground. Quite ornate like many things in India. It was situated in the middle of a neighbourhood and seemed that no one paid it much attention. In fact the only other people around were a couple kids who, as me and my Australian friend reached the very bottom, proceeded to hawk loogies, managing to hit the Aussie on the head! Upon exiting the well, we sat under a tree where a bird shat directly on my face. I had to laugh, what else could I do?



Satyagraha Ashram. I found it very well presented (unlike too many of the museums and galleries in India) And I bought half of the English books that were available in their book shop! Gandhiji was pretty cool. He's known as the Father of the Nation, if you don't know why you should read up about it. India has, to this day, a prevalent Caste system. Gandhi spoke out against this system and invited Harijans (lower caste folks) to live freely in the Ashram, which stirred dissent from many of the other inmates, but was quite revolutionary for his time. Caste, however, is still observed in many parts of the country.










1 comment:

  1. Poor Leah. Sorry to hear about what happened to your face, but you handled it in cool Leah fashion!

    ReplyDelete